News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Property not available - Move Target

Tagged: 

This topic contains 35 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Swizzly 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Iuxeayor
    Participant

News: Parenting “move” under “waypointpatrol” and setting “move” Repeat:Never also has the desired effect and yet still is wrong. Also note that I have updated my Unity to 4.3.3f1.

prime
    Keymaster

The AI is stopping at the first waypoint because you have your Move node repeat set to Repeat Forever. Don’t set a repeat on it.

Iuxeayor
    Participant

Is this a new feature?
    I started to figure that this was the answer because it makes sense logically - you don’t want to repeat a move forever because then you can’t check for waypoints anymore. But that is how it is demonstrated on the tutorial videos: use a parallel switch, check for waypoints and move at the same time, then set move to Repeat:Forever.

But I noticed that if you look at the little bit of documentation inside the BT Editor when in waypointpatrol, it says to Child the move node. That’s how I found the first round-about solution.
    Then it occurred to me that maybe move shouldn’t have been repeating at all, that way the tree could constantly be checking for the waypoint as well as moving toward it.

Thanks, Prime ;>

prime
    Keymaster

We’re planning on putting out some new tutorial videos. We’ve been making changes and patches since the release, and unfortunately the tutorials don’t match up anymore. We’ve tried to upgrade the samples to be correct, but haven’t had a chance to redo the tutorials themselves. I suspect going forward the videos will be shorter and the sample projects will be standalone.

Iuxeayor
    Participant

Ah, I see. Definitely, written tutorials could much better for constant changing. The wiki is good, but is difficult to maintain because it gets into the nitty-gritty and much may change at a time. Video tutorials, as you are experiencing, are difficult to maintain because you may have to redo the entire video for a minor change.

But written tutorials that show basic workflows, like how to do basic AI Navigation, are easily edited because you can just change a few lines of description and swap in new screenshots. Also, from the reader’s end, it’s much easier to follow step by step when it’s there in front of him instead of in a video. When I kept checking my work, I had to find the right video and then find the right place. My internet is slow and the default video setting is 360p or whatever, so I have to put it up to 720p and wait a few minutes for it to load before I can see what part of the video I am on. Thus, I sometimes wait a long while before getting back to whatever it was I was going to do with my project whenever there are issues.

A tutorial in this format is certainly my favorite:
    http://www.mygamefast.com/volume1/issue3/?nopages=true

-It’s only a suggestion. ;>

waysquare
    Participant

i’ve been stuck for over 2 hours following the tutorial. And here i come. Parent “move” node to “waypointpatrol” and make it Repeat:Never should work now.

wattoo
    Participant

I downloaded RAIN today and have followed a number of (official and other) tutorials several times, but so far have not managed to make anything move at all. I’ve tried waypoints and i’ve tried the move nodes on their own. Nothing is working. If I could just see what the syntax is on a tooltip or something.

The note at the bottom of the page says I can use Move Target as a vector. How? How am I supposed to write it?

0, 0, 0
    (0, 0, 0)
    Vector3(0, 0, 0)

I have no idea. It just turns red when I press play which I presume means there’s a mistake. A tooltip telling me why would be VERY handy.

Alarconte
    Participant

Have the same problem.

I don’t have found any workaround solution, but it’s my first time with RAIN.

Character with waypointpatrol, move as child, and animate, starts walking to the first waypoint and then stops (the animation continues cycling (¿well?).

I’m not sure what are the stats has to be (forever, until succed, never, etc) for every part ’cause nothing works.

What they need to be for the Parallel node, Waypoint node, Move node and Animation node?

any solutions?

Thanks.

TygerGlenn
    Participant

Missing Drop down box in move.

Unity 4.32
    Latest release of RAIN with update.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  TygerGlenn.

TygerGlenn
    Participant

Tried to post image 2 different ways but it didn’t take.

Alarconte
    Participant

There is no dropdown box in last updates as I heard, now there is the E thingy to put names with quotes, or variables…

OK!

Worked for me! The problem was rotation/face speed…. With waypointpatrol with never, and move childed with never.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  Alarconte. Reason: fixed

TygerGlenn
    Participant

Can be downloaded to view.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 9 months ago by  TygerGlenn. Reason: Image didnt show

TygerGlenn
    Participant

Thanks that worked for tut 1 and 2.

kyotokid
    Participant

I’ve the same issue and can’t get the basics to work, we’ve fallen at the first hurdle :(

+1 for easy to update text tutorials rather than videos (which go out of date). Thanks! :)

Iuxeayor
    Participant

I am re-posting the answer that we have discovered to this question:

1) Parent “move” under “waypointpatrol” - leave waypointpatrol-Repeat:Never
    2) Leave move-Repeat:Never

Note: no Parallel or Sequence is necessary yet unless you start adding other decisions and stuff.

As for Animation, I am not sure because I am not focusing on that right now. I would assume it, too, is parented under “waypointpatrol” but might actually still be Repeat:Forever.

-Iuxeayor ;>

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.