News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting When Loading BTAsset, GC Alloc a lot

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  tgraupmann 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

mind.behaviorTreeAsset = Resources.Load(string.Format(“BehaviorTrees/{0}”,”Guest”), typeof(BTAsset)) as BTAsset;
    aiRig.AI.AIInit();

The BT contains some Custom Action which need to load using Assembly.CreateInstance. In Unity Deep Profiler, it allocate a lot of memory, is it possible to minimize it ?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9322397/RAIN/Rain_AIInit.png

prime
    Keymaster

I don’t believe those numbers are accurate. For example, they are reporting String.Split taking 172KB. I don’t think that performing a split operation on a 30 character string requires almost 200k of memory. The similarly, calling type.Name doesn’t require 283K. I doubt it uses 283 bytes. In addition, the assembly sizes are skewed because you are running in the editor.

In general, the profiler serves as a guide for finding problems, but can be wildly inaccurate at times.

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

sorry, profile in editor is inaccurate, let me try to profile in device instead.

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

In Rain 1.x , when I load BT ( ~ 50 nodes, half of them is custom class in global assembly ) in runtime, it didn’t drop too much frame-rate, but after upgraded to Rain 2.x, it drop significantly, could you have any performance test case for this situation ?

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

I found that BTLoader is very slow when the BT contains many custom class in global assembly as it use reflection to create the class object. Any thing that I can do to make it load faster ?

prime
    Keymaster

I’ll put a note in our task list to look into optimizing that. We can probably cache assemblies and check most recently used assemblies first.

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

Is your method used in RAIN 1.x for custom action ? I have no problem on it.

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

What is the time frame to optimize for caching the assemblies? If it is too long, we need to rollback to rain 1.x

prime
    Keymaster

Send an email to jester please. We can discuss possibly getting you a pre-release custom version in advance of our planned release schedule.

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

email is sent.

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

I know you guys is busy, but how is the pre-release custom version ?

prime
    Keymaster

Working on it. Give me a ping on Monday.

tgraupmann
    Participant

[moved]

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  tgraupmann.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  tgraupmann. Reason: simplify code example
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.