News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Using Sendmessage and behavior trees

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  prime 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jsmucker
    Participant

I am trying to send a message using a custom action and making a new class. Here is what I have so far in the class I created:

using UnityEngine;
    using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using RAIN.Action;
    using RAIN.Core;
    [RAINAction]
    public class TakeDamage : RAINAction
    {
        public override void Start(AI ai)
        {
    		ai.gameObject.SendMessage("Damage", 1.0f, SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
            base.Start(ai);
        }
        public override ActionResult Execute(AI ai)
        {
            return ActionResult.SUCCESS;
        }
        public override void Stop(AI ai)
        {
            base.Stop(ai);
        }
    }

I’ve tried using all of these instead of the sendmessage in the code.
    GameObject.SendMessage: Returns error “An object reference is required to access non-static member”
    Component.SendMessage: Returns error “An object reference is required to access non-static member”
    gameObject.SendMessage: Returns error “The name `gameObject’ does not exist in the current context”
    SendMessage: Returns error “The name `SendMessage’ does not exist in the current context”
    ai.gameObject: returns error “RAIN.Core.AI’ does not contain a definition for `gameObject’ and no extension method `gameObject’ of type”
    Any ways to do this successfully?

prime
    Keymaster

ai.Body.SendMessage is what you want.

The “Body” of the AI is the parent game object that the AI controls.

Jsmucker
    Participant

Awesome, that fixed the error, but for some reason the send message is going to the wrong gameobject. I am very inexperienced in c# and don’t know what I am doing wrong. The sendmessage is sending a damage function to the enemy instead of the player for some reason. I originally got the function to work when I put it in a script attached to the enemy and used this format to get the message to the player(“Hero”):

void OnTriggerEnter(Collider other) {
        if (other.name == "Hero")
            other.SendMessage("Damage", 1.0f, SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    }

prime
    Keymaster

So Hero is the player? I’m a little confused because your custom action is called TakeDamage. Is it applying damage to itself or to some other object?

Jsmucker
    Participant

It should be applying damage to some other object.

prime
    Keymaster

ai.Body will be the game object of the AI itself, so you don’t want that. If you are applying damage to an object that you detected with a sensor, and you are setting the Form Variable through the sensor, then

GameObject tSensedObject = ai.WorkingMemory.GetItem<GameObject>("myFormVariable"); //whatever your variable name is, which should be used in the Form Variable field of the sensor
    tSensedObject.SendMessage("Damage", 1.0f, SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.