News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Unity 5 support

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sigil 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

CodeBison
    Participant

Is there an ETA for Unity 5 support? I’m loving the Unity 5 beta, but it’s just not the same without RAIN.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Well I did drop RAIN into Unity 5, and aside from saying it was modifying the assemblies (not sure if it really did though) things seemed to be working. I admit I didn’t do any exhaustive testing (just generated a Navigation Mesh or two) but didn’t see any warnings/errors with the things I did do.

Did you happen to run into any particular problems? If they aren’t huge problems we might be able to fix them sooner rather than later.

CodeBison
    Participant

I had a problem with navmeshes and waypoint routes not showing, but I just tested and they work fine in an empty project, so that’s probably my fault. I get the following errors and warnings when I attempt to set the animator in an AI to MechanimAnimator, however:

Could not load type 'UnityEditorInternal.AnimatorController' from assembly 'UnityEditor, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
      at RAINEditor.Animation.MecanimAnimatorEditor.DrawInspector (System.String aLabel, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor.DrawFieldForInspector (RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor aComponentEditor, System.String aLabel, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor.DrawFieldForInspector (RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor aEditor, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor.DrawFieldForInspector (RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.Core.AIEditor.DrawInspector (System.String aLabel, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor.DrawFieldForInspector (RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor aComponentEditor, System.String aLabel, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor.DrawFieldForInspector (RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor aEditor, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.Core.AIRigEditor.DrawComponentForInspector (RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor.OnInspectorGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor:OnInspectorGUI()
    UnityEditor.PopupCallbackInfo:SetEnumValueDelegate(Object, String[], Int32)

and:

Unexpected top level layout group! Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

CodeBison
    Participant

I narrowed down the bug with navmeshes and waypoint routes not showing. Their gizmos don’t show properly when deferred rendering (either type) is enabled. Interestingly, waypoint route gizmos show when another object is selected, but not when the waypoint route itself is selected.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Thanks for these updates, already managed to fix that first one (if I get something solid together it’ll be in the next update).

Still looking at that second one.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Well I’m stumped (for now) on the second one. I hope it is just a bug in the Unity beta, and at least there is kinda a workaround (switch to forward, at least temporarily). I will revisit this when the next beta version comes out.

In the meantime, you should expect a fix in the next update for that exception when using the MecanimAnimator, and I think I removed the calls that were causing it to popup the API warning.

Thanks for the help finding these. I’ll keep watching for further issues with Unity 5 and fix if I can (it isn’t our highest priority yet, but if it is easy enough we’ll do it).

CodeBison
    Participant

Sounds great. Thanks!

CodeBison
    Participant

Is there an ETA for the next update?

prime
    Keymaster

Will be releasing 2.1.5 this week.

CodeBison
    Participant

The 2.1.5 update helped somewhat, but I’m still seeing errors in relation to Mecanim. Intermittently, I see:

Method `UnityEditor.Animations.AnimatorController:GetEffectiveAnimatorController (UnityEngine.Animator)' is inaccessible from method `RAINEditor.Animation.MecanimAnimatorEditor:FillAnimatorStates (RAIN.Core.AIRig,System.Collections.Generic.List`1<string>,System.Collections.Generic.List`1<string>)'
      at RAINEditor.Animation.MecanimAnimatorEditor.DrawInspector (System.String aLabel, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.TypeEditors.RAINTypeEditor.DrawFieldForInspector (RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.Core.AIEditor.DrawInspector (System.String aLabel, RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.Core.AIRigEditor.DrawComponentForInspector (RAIN.Serialization.FieldWalkerList aWalker) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor.OnInspectorGUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    RAINEditor.Core.RAINComponentEditor:OnInspectorGUI()

and

Unexpected top level layout group! Missing GUILayout.EndScrollView/EndVertical/EndHorizontal?

when selecting MecanimAnimator as the animator type. When this happens, there isn’t any content below the Animator field in the RAIN ui. Something in this also corrupts the AI rig and causes animations to stop working for the affected character.

This happens with all AI rigs. I’ll try a blank project and see if I can narrow down the cause of this error. If I find any more info, I’ll update here.

prime
    Keymaster

We now have a beta Unity 5 build of RAIN available on request. Please send an email to jester at rival theory dot com if you want to try it.

CodeBison
    Participant

Excellent news. Email sent.

Thanks!

CodeBison
    Participant

Release 2.1.6 solves all the problems I’ve mentioned above. Using Unity 5.0.016b.

Thanks guys!

CodeBison
    Participant

It looks like I spoke a little too soon. Errors in the Animator tab are still present. Everything else looks good though.

Sigil
    Keymaster

We should have a version for Unity 5 up sometime soon (so you don’t have to keep emailing for newer builds). We have to work through a few issues internally with splitting the build between the two Unitys, but once we get that situated we’ll have it up (probably as a link under the download button or similar). I’ll post back when that happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.