News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Playmaker Integration (beginner coders)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  christougher 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

micuccio
    Participant

Guys your software is amazing. Impressive and stuff.

I can just find a issue/missing : Not all of Rain users are coders/programmers so PLEASE, PLEASE integrate Rain with Playmaker or other visual script. I think it will be one of the best gift you can do to the community.

Say no to the code racism! even the non-coders should express their ideas!
    (Ok that was a bit off topic. :) )

Dom

christougher
    Participant

Ditto. If there is a way to make RAIN and Playmaker play well together that would bring you in a ton of business. As is I’m buying Squad Command today (50% off yo!) and hoping that I can make good use of it mucking through without much coding experience. I’ll cross my fingers for playmaker support someday. Adding Playmaker support would definitely drive people your way. There’s reasons why it’s been a top-seller asset page for so long.

prime
    Keymaster

What would you be looking for out of an integration? The ability to trigger playmaker state machine events/transitions from custom actions? The ability to run entire state machines as custom nodes in the BT? Or something else entirely?

micuccio
    Participant

Hi @Prime.

I would like to see the following playmaker integration :

a)Runtime mesh generation (for example, I would like to dig a hole (deep) and in that case the navmesh need to be recalculate. In this case I suppose would be more efficient to evaluate the mesh only in specific areas. What do you think?

b)managing of locations/waypoints

c)access to sensors (this is better I explain : I would like for example to reduce via playmaker the field of view of a AI for example when there is a flashbang. The Ai should not be able to see for a short period and the same for the audio sensor.

Regards,

Dom

prime
    Keymaster

What do you think of this proposal:

1) We create a Custom Element that you can add to your AI. The custom element would receive “messages” from systems like Playmaker and be able to respond appropriately. The messages would allow you to set move targets, manage sensors, set variables, etc.

2) We create similar integration with waypoints, navmesh, entity/aspects, etc.

3) We provide integration with Playmaker to be able to send messages easily, without touching code.

So, the result would be that you could add the Custom Integration element to your AI and AI Scene Elements and then access them seamlessly through Playmaker.

Does that make sense?

micuccio
    Participant

It does make a ton of sense!
    I currenlty do it with playmaker bypassing Rain. For example I let the AI use rain to reach my character and then Playmaker manage the attack of the AI inventory.
    It would be very nice if the two systems could work naturally.

I imagine the following scene :

the AI is moving to get a cup of coffee(location 0). In the meaning time this cup is moved to another point that can be seen by the AI (Location 1). Using Playmaker and the Visual sensor we can easily change the Location of the cup in RAIN and consequently the AI will finally get his/her coffee.

What do you think?

Regards,

prime
    Keymaster

In your example, I don’t see how playmaker is involved. If the cup of coffee is moved, the AI will sense the new location and move there on its own, without playmaker, right?

micuccio
    Participant

Mmm I think I wrote it not clear. I was thinking about a Playmaker action that can communicate with the RAIN AI sensors in order to exchange the location info of the cup.
    sounds still wrong?

prime
    Keymaster

I’m not sure I get it still. Even so, I think I get the general concept.

micuccio
    Participant

Glad to hear! Apologize for the confusion 😉
    I look forward to Playmaker integration then.:)

christougher
    Participant

@prime. Yeah, the three points you suggest seem to cover the bases pretty well as long as point 3 means having a slew custom actions on the playmaker side of things. 😀 Sounds good!

Just made my first behavior tree and I’ve been wondering how to make them play well together. If they can both send messages between the two it would simplify allot!

micuccio
    Participant

Another suggestion : custom action for Navmesh generation Runtime.
    It will be very useful for procedural games.

prime
    Keymaster

Navmesh generation is not currently fast enough for runtime. We’ve done some work on dynamic navmeshes, but nothing we’re ready to release.

christougher
    Participant

Bump.
    Any word/progress on Playmaker integration? Thanks

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.