News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Pause execution of behavior tree

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  prime 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jahshuwuh
    Participant

I have a model with a behavior tree attached to it that’s a basic waypointpatrol. I need for the model to not begin that behavior tree until a certain event occurs. How would I go about stopping this behavior tree from executing on start up, and then starting it when my particular event occurs?

prime
    Keymaster

A simple approach would be to do this:

SELECTOR:
    — EVALUATE EXPRESSION (event hasn’t happened)
    — SEQUENCER
    — — EVERYTHING ELSE

jahshuwuh
    Participant

I’m not sure I can specify this particular event within the behavior tree. It’s an augmented reality shooter game and I need it to wait until I have the tracking image in view before starting the behavior tree. So I have a C# file that’s overriding a method that checks if a tracking image has been seen by the camera. This is where I would need to place some logic to start up the behavior tree, if that’s possible.

prime
    Keymaster

Other options then:

1) Just set your AI to inactive until it is ready to go.

AIRig tRig = gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<AIRig>();
    tRig.AI.IsActive = true;

2) Stick with the Selector, but use your script to indicate whether you are ready to go.

tRig.AI.WorkingMemory.SetItem<bool>("ready", true);

3) Activate/Deactivate the entire character game object using Unity methods.

jahshuwuh
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. With option #1 using my own script I’m getting the error: “Cannot implicitly convert type ‘RAIN.Core.AIRig[]’ to ‘RAIN.Core.AIRig'” on this line:

So I need to store the return from gameObject.GetComponentInChildren<AIRig>() in an array then?

prime
    Keymaster

Did you accidentally use GetComponentsInChildren?

jahshuwuh
    Participant

Good call, didn’t notice that.

jahshuwuh
    Participant

Should I then be setting the AI inactive in the Start() method and then can I set it back to active in the Update() method once a condition is reached? So far I can get it inactive with this method, but no luck in turning it back on.

prime
    Keymaster

Yes, you should be able to simply toggle IsActive true or false to get what you want. IsActive shouldn’t impact initialization of the AI, just the running behavior.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.