News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Nav Mesh / Waypoints and Hills

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  joedartjr 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

targumanu
    Participant

I seem to be having issues with my nav meshes when I apply them to uneven terrain.

I set up a scene with uneven terrain, generated a nav mesh, set up some waypoints for a game object to follow, and created the behavior tree to follow the way points.

The game object correctly moves toward the path, but it does not stay on top of the terrain, but sinks in the terrain as the terrain rises. It ultimately gets to one of the way points, but does not move beyond that waypoint. I imagine it is because the game object is not on the same level as the waypoint (being sunk in the ground).

Are there any demos of using nav mesh with a non-flat surface?

Thanks,

Michael

justinliebregts
    Participant

I also have had this experience. It would appear that RAIN does not work on non-level surfaces.

prime
    Keymaster

RAIN doesn’t do any work to lift a character over surfaces. You will need to add a capsule collider and rigidbody, or some similar setup, to get your character to move over changing heights.

justinliebregts
    Participant

Would it be possible for RAIN to provide a basic setup project or a tutorial video that shows how to set this up? I feel it’s a fairly common set up but there’s almost no documentation about it. Honestly I don’t want to sound picky because this is an amazing free asset, but saying, “You will need to add a capsule collider and rigidbody, or some similar setup, to get your character to move over changing heights” is not really that useful because it’s so broad. Especially for beginners. Which objects should he put the capsule collider and rigid body? What should the rigid body settings be?

I feel that providing one simple example scene would eliminate a lot of the questions being posted on here.

Once again thank you for the amazing tool. I trust probably that the documentation was sacrificed in order to get the actual product into users hands first as a priority, and I think that was the right decision.

joedartjr
    Participant

Necroing this thread as I’m having trouble accomplishing this as well. Adding a capsule collider to my animated rigidbodies causes them to fall over and spin in circles. Without Rain AI, my enemy will walk up the hill on his own.

prime
    Keymaster

You will need to constrain your rigid body in all 3 rotation axis and in xz position (leave y unchecked).

joedartjr
    Participant

Thanks for the quick reply. I did as you said and everything is working now.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.