News Forums RAIN Sample Projects, How To, and Code Example custom action - attack script

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ImmortalFlamingMonkey 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

carme
    Participant

Hi,

Does anyone have a basic example script of a custom action whereby the ai attacks a player.

Just something basic, so that I can build upon it.

Thanks

Carme

prime
    Keymaster

Can you be more specific? I wouldn’t normally create a single custom action for ai attacking a player. I would create a whole behavior tree describing various strategies, actions, etc.

What are you looking to do?

carme
    Participant

Hi, thanks for replying.

Yes, I have a BT, works fine. Ai has multiple sensors, notices a player, chases them, comes to with 2 yards or 2 units and then stops, mech animations work fine. I can then for instance get the ai to animate an attack - but of course that does no damage. I wanted to randomise an attack, from say one of four choices, hence I wanted (I believe) a custom action script to randomly pick an attack, then play that mech animation, then do damage via raycast or collider, probably a combination of both, collider for melee and raycast for a ranged magic attack.

I just wanted an example (if some kind soul had one) of something similar so I can get cracking and build upon it.

or do I just use rain for pure movement and use a normal (not rain c# script). Can I combine both, or must it be some kind of rain script only, I would have thought everything in using rain/controlled by rain would be smoother or from rain would be better. waffling a bit, lost a bit, direction needed :) and would love an example..

Thanks

Carme

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by  carme.

prime
    Keymaster

I would use RAIN for all the behavior, not just movement.

In your case, I would:
    1) Use a Random node to select the attack and play the proper animation
    2) Use a Sensor to determine whether or not I can damage the target (although you could write a custom action for this)
    3) Transmit the damage to the gameplay code via a custom action. In other words - somewhere in your game code you will have a means for tracking damage/health for each entity. A custom action in your BT is where you will link the AI behavior (firing a weapon) to the effect (hitting a target, causing damage, triggering FX).

Rival Theory will be putting out a demo scene later this month showing a firefight between a group of soldiers. It should demonstrate clearly how we would handle these issues and how to use RAIN to control AI and gameplay.

Would I be able to do the same with a medieval type game.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.