News Forums RAIN Sample Projects, How To, and Code Dynamic navmesh

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  CodersExpo 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

golonac
    Participant

Hi! I was wondering if Rain AI is suited for a dynamic navmesh. My level has destructible walls, so the navmesh should change dynamically. It’s a real time application so recomputing the navmesh every time a wall is destroyed is probably too slow. I think the only way to do this would be to use a dynamic blocker object for each wall section - but there are several thousand pieces of walls in the level. Would it be possible to do a dynamic navmesh like this without breaking performance?

prime
    Keymaster

RAIN doesn’t currently support real time updates to the navmesh, and so it can’t currently handle the situation you are describing. A number of people have hooked 3rd party nav solutions into RAIN, so you may be able to find a solution that you can integrate.

golonac
    Participant

Thanks for the reply! If dynamic navmesh isn’t available, I would ideally want to use my A* pathfinder with Rain. Are there any resources on how to do this? The manual is incomplete on the custom navigator. Alternatively I could use Unity’s navmesh implementation which does support dynamic obstacles, but is probably less efficient for my purposes.

CodersExpo
    Participant

Hey Golonac,

Read through this thread and see if there is anything here that might help.

http://rivaltheory.com/forums/topic/custom-navigator-for-a-pathfinding-project/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.