News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Am I missing something?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BMRX 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

BMRX
    Participant

Your tutorials are examples that use custom code…

If I wanted to write out a whole FSM I would. I don’t really understand… How does one use this? Actually let me step that down a bit, how does one go about learning how to use this?

I’ve been at this for a couple hours now, with no success. Trying to get a capsule to chase my player when it sees the player does not work. This is something I can make happen with a couple if statements and a raycast, I thought RAIN was meant to make things easier?

I’m obviously missing something, but when you have no documentation that helps figure out the workflow it’s hard to see what I’m missing.

prime
    Keymaster

I would suggest checking out the Starter Kit here:
    http://rivaltheory.com/community/tutorials/

There are examples of how to get an AI to move, chase, detect, etc.

BMRX
    Participant

“Your tutorials are examples that use custom code…”

Let me reiterate, I have looked over your starter kit. Things do not seem to be apparent, it’s like looking over source with no comments. I must have dropped a good amount of IQ if it’s that obvious though…

EDIT/ Why don’t I describe what I’ve done, according to what I’ve seen in the starter kit.

I have a NavMesh in place, I have setup the behavior tree so that if the Player is detected visually (I have an entity as the child of my Player called “Player”) the AI is then meant to “move” towards the the player. I even put a Navigation Target as a child of the Player as well with the same name of “Player” yet nothing.

I wish there was a way to debug this via debug log. Debug break does not seem to work the way I thought it would.

Pretty much struggling with this as much as I was to get a proper FSM working.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  BMRX.

prime
    Keymaster

To get an AI to move toward the player, you simply create a behavior tree like this:

PARALLEL (Succeed on ANY)
    — DETECT (repeat forever, set Aspect Variable to playerAspect)
    — MOVE (set Move Target to playerAspect)

No navigation target is needed. Having a NavMesh is good - make sure there isn’t a hole where the AI was standing when you created it (disable the AI temporarily and regenerate if you have one).

OnyxRook
    Participant

Hey BMRX,

Don’t know if you’re aware of it, but another forum member named CodersExpo has a getting started series on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQlewYFwCOU If you’re the type of person that needs to actually see things being built to understand the logic (like me), his series helped significantly!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  OnyxRook.

BMRX
    Participant

“To get an AI to move toward the player, you simply create a behavior tree like this:

PARALLEL (Succeed on ANY)
    — DETECT (repeat forever, set Aspect Variable to playerAspect)
    — MOVE (set Move Target to playerAspect)

No navigation target is needed. Having a NavMesh is good – make sure there isn’t a hole where the AI was standing when you created it (disable the AI temporarily and regenerate if you have one).

This is exactly how I have it. Nothing happens.

Onyx thanks for the reply, I’ll check it out. This really does not stand true to the reviews on the Asset store. “Get basic AI up and running in less than thirty minutes!” Maybe after spending hours learning every little nuance involved.

I really wish there was a way to properly Debug this situation. I would like to have a darned DebugLog instead of my game just pausing with no option to unpause. There is literally no way to tell if my player detect is actually working. Rain AI feels more like a tool designed for the people who made it. :/

EDIT/ Seems keeping the behavior editor open helps… For actual Debugging, that’s handy. Lookingh through the Wiki or the API does not make any mention of this… So my detect does not work, at all. Everything results in failure. I’m now of the belief that this is just broken.

EDIT/ So using quotations on the target names is where I was failing. Glad to get it working… Why the heck do we need to use quotations? This addon needs us to define a string for it? Even so, why is it detecting variables with the use of a string?

I assume that is what is going on here, as the use of quotations makes no sense at all anywhere else. Again, would be nice to be able to find some sort of tips and tricks page that listed this sort of thing. I completely missed the use of quotations it’s not expected, it’s not normal, this is the first time I’ve ever questioned something on a computer with a resounding “REALLY?!” I mean… Really?

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  BMRX.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  BMRX.

OnyxRook
    Participant

Haha man, trust me, you’re not alone. The video series I linked to does go a long way in getting you up and running on the basics. For a simple patrol and attack AI, it truly does only take 30 minutes, if not a lot less. Anything beyond that is where the learning curve starts getting steep, but simple stuff isn’t too terribly hard to master. Rain does suffer a bit from programmer-itis (Devs worked on the tool for so long they can’t see where things might not make sense to anyone outside of the team, and the state of the wiki doesn’t help), but the system seems to be so damn powerful that I keep coming back to it despite the frustration. Once you get something going, it does it job very, very well. Don’t give up! :)

BMRX
    Participant

It all makes sense now, finding out the use of quotations was from those videos you linked me.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.