News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting AI not moving towards waypoint (following 10 minute tutorial)

This topic contains 26 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  prime 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Brian Falkner
    Participant

On the constraint node. Using the same health script you set up on the tutorial.

Brian Falkner
    Participant

Here is the drop box link. Been a while since I used drop box: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cm9b513vodyv9c8/7K5XSQzFjY

Mohican
    Participant

Wow, you really need to either remove or update this Robot tutorial.
    I spent 3 hours failing to make it work, and then it took me another hour to find this thread.
    I was close to giving up towards the end… This tutorial is a very bad starting point.

(But heads up for the rest, I appreciate how much functionality you are giving to people for FREE!)

Mohican
    Participant

Now onto the next hurdle:

I got the Waypoint Character working, and I am trying to setup the Detect Character.

I have followed the Tutorial steps exactly (Parallel Detect/Move nodes set to repeat forever, Entity>Visual Aspect attached to Waypoint Character, Visual Sensor attached to Dectect Character)
    But the detectTarget variable remains Null no matter what…

Do I need to change something from the Robot Tutorial to get the detectTarget variable to see the Waypoint Character?

Thanks in advance…

TryHarder
    Participant

Hi,

Take a look at my post:-

Click Here

OnyxRook
    Participant

Had to join the forums just to thank all involved with this thread. I discovered Rain in November (I think) and followed the tutorials without any real issues…Then just came back to it tonight and was ready to tear my hair out. I experienced pretty much every issue mentioned here, and each post got me a step further, but now I’ve hit a new(?) problem, and I’m hoping you guys can help me out again!

I just solved the issue of my AI getting stuck at the first waypoint-I too had my animate node a child of my waypoint node (Thanks for spelling that out, Brian!), and with that fixed, my enemy started wandering. However, he won’t rotate around corners. My path is square just like in the video tutorial, and so everything will appear fine down the first part of the path, then he’ll ‘walk’ sideways down the second leg, and become stuck at the second waypoint (at which point he should have turned 180 degrees from his starting direction, which I suspect is connected to the issue). Any ideas as to what I’m doing wrong? I’ve played around with the Allow 3DRotation checkbox, does nothing for me. :(

Thanks guys!!

prime
    Keymaster

Are you setting a Face target? (If you are, don’t.)

OnyxRook
    Participant

Nope, no face target. I played with that thinking that was perhaps the issue, but it didn’t change anything.

prime
    Keymaster

Which Motor? Basic or Mecanim?

Brian Falkner
    Participant

I still have not got past my AI health issue. Haven’t had much time to mess with it. I tried to get my AI to do the same as yours OnixRook, but had no luck. My AI seems to turn and face the Waypoints just fine. Do you have a sample you could post?

OnyxRook
    Participant

Good news! I made a dumb mistake! I figured this out while prepping an example project to show you guys.

Because I was having weird issues when my animate node was parented to the waypoint, I was trying a little bit of everything to see if it would help. At one point I added a value to the turn speed, and when I determined it wasn’t doing what I wanted, out of reflex I set the value to 0, rather than nothing. Got rid of that, and everything is back to normal. :3

Thanks for the help guys (Prime, I read everything you post in your voice), I’ll see you around the forums, I’m sure… Now off to try my hand at audio detection! Suuuuper excited about that!

prime
    Keymaster

Glad you found the problem. Let us know how it goes with audio detection.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.