RAIN Feature Overview
Take a look at some of the fundamentals that make Rival Theory’s RAIN exceptional for Character creation.
RAIN’s movement, behavior, and pathfinding systems work together seamlessly to control Character motion. Use scene waypoints to create paths fast, or take advantage of the automatic recast and navigation mesh system for detailed movement. The built-in Behavior Tree editor can help you tie movement to behavior to create patrol, hiding, attack, chase, wander, and other movement behaviors.
Whether you are building simple background behaviors or creating complex strategic decision making, RAIN’s behavior system can help bring your Character to life. Create realistic behaviors through the graphical Behavior Tree editor and quickly add movement, animation, sensory awareness, and sound effects. Import, share and reuse previously created behaviors through XML.
RAIN is the only AI engine on Unity to support Mecanim with built-in integration between behavior, movement, animation control and the ability to drive Mecanim state machines. Unity Legacy-style animations are also supported, with playback and transitioning support throughout RAIN’s motion systems. RAIN provides easy extensibility for creating and integrating user-defined animation controllers.
The perception features of RAIN allow the Character to become aware of elements in their environment through digital “sensations”. When equipped, the Character gains the ability to understand or notice something easily like footsteps as they approach, the first drops of rain during a storm, or when a friend is injured and needs help.
RAIN makes it easy for developers to integrate and add functionality to RAIN through its plugin architecture. The plugin architecture will allow 3rd party software to exchange information seamlessly with RAIN, supporting alternative behavior models (e.g., state machines), support for 3rd party animation, rendering, and physics pipelines, and the addition of AI-centric custom editors and rigs.
We know that creative vision should not be inhibited by technical constraints, and that’s why RAIN has been engineered to deliver reliable performance, smooth framerate and superb player experience across target platforms.
Ultimately, our intent is to capture the essence of the original artistic inspiration without imposing limits.
- Improved UI
- Now easier than ever to create an AI and rig a scene new!
- Advanced and Basic options new!
- Easily integrate custom and 3rd party editors new!
- Automatic navigation mesh creation new!
- Path smoothing
- Integrated Waypoint system new!
- Patrol Routes
- Multiple Recast visualizations new!
- Extensible path architecture new!
- Kinematic controller
- Character controller
- Extensible motion architecture new!
- Behavior Trees
- Graphical behavior creation
- Visual Behavior Tree debugging new!
- Combine partial trees new!
- Logic nodes
- Support for dynamic priorities new!
- Ability to edit custom nodes and parameters new!
- Timer nodes
- Parallel actions
- Conditional behavior
- Integration with sound
- Integration with animation
- Integration with sensors
- Integration with motion
- Scripting templates
- State machine support
- XML support
- Customizable actions
- Built in support for Locomotion, Animation, and IK via Mecanim new!
- Legacy support
- Root Motion support new!
- Vision sensor
- Auditory sensor
- Customizable sensors
- User and 3rd party Sensor Filters allow sensor data processing new!
- Optimized sensor system with visualizations new!
- Aspect oriented feature detection new!
- Scene mark-up tools
- Customization, Extensions, Plugins, and 3rd party libraries
- Architecture supports custom overrides of any RAIN component new!
- Import/export full AI rigs to XML new!
- Ability to extend RAIN with custom Nodes, Animation Systems, Aspect Libraries, Sensors and Sensor Filters new!
- Automatic updates within RAIN new!
- Integrated tool-tips and help within RAIN new!
- Sample projects new!
- Code samples new!
- Tutorials new!
- Community Forum new!
- API documentation new!
- Wiki documentation new!