News Forums RAIN Sample Projects, How To, and Code Using Waypoint routes and paths!

This topic contains 27 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kabali2413 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

CodersExpo
    Participant

I have updated the Wiki Waypoints section with some example projects that might help some new comers. Check out http://rivaltheory.com/wiki/doku.php?id=environment:waypointcollections:start

Once you review the information and try the projects on each sub page check out this project that combines both Waypoint patrol and Waypoint navigation paths for a Patrol/Attack & Search example. http://rivaltheory.com/?ddownload=10240

• This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Jester.
    • This topic was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Jester.

Jester
    Keymaster

This is awesome! You guys should provide some feedback to CodersExpo on what you want to see on the Wiki. He will fill it out according to demand as well as his own judgement.

Thanks again CodersExpo!

-Jester

redhawk
    Participant

I think it’s great that CodersExpo is adding more. I personally like seeing those written examples. I know the Attack&Wander video is out there, but it would be nice to have a written example of some custom Actions.

For instance a few that come to mind:
    - Attack (called AIDamageEnemy in the tutorial) and how to link out to a different script that’s ready to receive damage
    - Wander location (called AIChooseWanderLocation in the tutorial)
    - How to access current health to display enemy GUI
    - How to properly use Tree Binding and what are good scenarios to use them for
    - How to properly react to getting hit
    - How to alert friendlies to the AI

CodersExpo
    Participant

Great suggestions Redhawk. Thank you for the feedback. Though everyone would likely have a different approach to accomplishing each of these tasks, I will keep them in mind as I try to construct useful demos.

I’ll make sure to get some examples that demo RAIN features such as using extensions, dynamic loading of behavior trees, save/load memory settings, accessing custom entity settings, custom sensors that can act as a network to communicate to surrounding AI..etc. How these are used within a persons game design is entirely up to each individual. I hope this is what you would like to see and please let me know if there is anything else I can do to improve your experience with RAIN.
    Thanks!

redhawk
    Participant

CodersExpo, totally understand. Just suggestions is all. BTW - I used your example and made it work with Core GameKit (formerly KillerWaves) with no extra scripting. Such fun. I have it so that when the hand (from your punch animation) hits the Enemy, the Enemy receives damage and eventually explodes, then respawns in a random location and the attacker finds it again. Fun little test. I’m excited in this little test because it means that I can avoid having to create new Custom Actions by just using trigger colliders and Core GameKit plus RAIN. Wow!

CodersExpo
    Participant

Explosions!! That’s what I’m talking about. Right on.

redhawk
    Participant

CodersExpo - my Navmesh and Waypoints are White and I can’t change the color (even though I change it in the inspector, it stays white). I’m testing your project on a grander scale so I’m starting with your project (since I’m not good at importing/exporting RAIN pieces). Any idea why it’s white?

prime
    Keymaster

Try re-importing RAIN. It might help.

redhawk
    Participant

Worked for the NavMesh but not for the Waypoint Network or Route. Those are still white even if I add new ones. Odd.

CodersExpo
    Participant

Seems I have the same issue with this one. I tried re-uploading and when I download it same same.

The functionality is there, which is good, but it does seem to loose settings on the waypoints. Another thing I saw was the waypoint path is hovering above the ground. I had to select all and click ‘drop to surface’. Still no colors. Strange.

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll mess with it to see what I can do.

CodersExpo
    Participant

Ok, so what I did was, re-import the RAIN package. Then ran the scene and clicked on the ‘Scene’ window. I saw the colors were changed and stopped the game. Whalla…I can now edit the colors. Very crazy man. It seems to work now though.

redhawk
    Participant

that was strange. Thanks. FYI - seems to be working fine on a very large terrain and RainMesh (1200). I did have to put a RigidBody (with Gravity and all constraint except Y Position) and a Capsule Collider.

redhawk
    Participant

CodersExpo - do you mind if I use your Example in a short Video tutorial?

CodersExpo
    Participant

Not at all, by all means share share share!! Love to see it too!

redhawk
    Participant

A little rough, but here it is

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.