News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Using RAIN with terrain generated at runtime?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TheAbelo2 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

TheAbelo2
    Participant

I’m planning to use RAIN AI for some generic NPCs for villages and stuff (think Minecraft villages) but I’m planning to generate the terrain procedurally at runtime rather than having a prebuilt terrain.
    For specifics, I was planning on having separate regions/chunks (for performance and ease of loading), but I don’t want invisible walls between them: I’d like the AIs to be able to travel between the (would it still be navmeshes? Or regions?)

I’ve seen a few other posts from a while ago asking the same sort of things, and the replies tend to be along the lines of “We’re getting there” or “We’re planning to implement it soon”. I was wondering if it is implemented yet, and if not, do you have any specific deadline?

blockcipher
    Participant

AFAIK you can already do this in RAIN 2.1.11 if I am understanding your question. Basically you will have chunks of terrain built at runtime correct? So you would just attach a NavMeshRig to each chunk (or region) when it is created and build the navmesh when it is done. You can use multiple NavMeshRigs in a scene.

The code for runtime generated navmesh is here-

http://rivaltheory.com/wiki/rainelements/navmeshrig

I’ve integrated this into a singleton class that uses a coroutine also if you are interested (however untested in latest Unity beta).

If I am misunderstanding what you are trying to accomplish I apologize!

TheAbelo2
    Participant

Well, as long as the models can move between navmeshes then that sounds like it suits my purpose exactly, thank you!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.