Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  blockcipher 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Yuewah Chan
    Participant

Any planned time frame for next major feature update?

Sigil
    Keymaster

Seen the post, will come back to this shortly with some info.

Sorry just behind a bit.

Sigil
    Keymaster

Maybe shortly was the wrong word. So we have an internal build currently setup for release, but I keep working on it to try and put more into it. Currently it is mainly bug fixes and optimizations… which honestly, is boring, although there are a number of garbage collection improvements.

Here are a few things we were working on, but haven’t had time to finish up just yet:

• New behavior editor: Pretty much reworked from scratch with undo/redo, import/export, editing at runtime (better than what we currently have), step by step debugging, and a few other things I don’t want to share just yet. This one I am most interested in finishing, as our behavior tree editor is from the original RAIN (RAIN {one}).
    • Navigation mesh obstacles, essentially the equivalent of the Unity obstacles with carving. It currently supports rectangles, circles, and capsule shapes as well. Could also have the ability to support a custom convex shape as well which could be really useful.
    • Navigation mesh connections, like carving, but the opposite. This will create polys and paths between two Navigation Meshes, connecting them. Similar to the obstacles, this will be dynamic and at runtime, allowing you to take separate rooms or areas and connect them (due to changes in the world or otherwise).

Unfortunately, all of these come with the caveat that I’m currently working on them. I’ll try to post some screenshots/movies of the work at some point here.

JamesAMD
    Participant

Hello, and that you for this awesome library!

I’ve started experimenting with RAIN recently, and I’ve noticed that AIs don’t steer to avoid each other when navigating on a navmesh rig.

I’ve used Recast/Detour in C++, and I want my AIs to avoid each other, just like the agents do in DetourCrowd (“local collision avoidance?”).
    I’m thinking this will be available with your new “navigation mesh obstacles” feature, and honestly can’t wait to see it!

I know you’re busy, and only 2 months have passed since your post, but I want to ask:
    Could you make a rough estimate of when these new features might get released ?

blockcipher
    Participant

Here are a few things we were working on, but haven’t had time to finish up just yet:

New behavior editor: Pretty much reworked from scratch with undo/redo, import/export, editing at runtime (better than what we currently have), step by step debugging, and a few other things I don’t want to share just yet. This one I am most interested in finishing, as our behavior tree editor is from the original RAIN (RAIN {one}).
    Navigation mesh obstacles, essentially the equivalent of the Unity obstacles with carving. It currently supports rectangles, circles, and capsule shapes as well. Could also have the ability to support a custom convex shape as well which could be really useful.
    Navigation mesh connections, like carving, but the opposite. This will create polys and paths between two Navigation Meshes, connecting them. Similar to the obstacles, this will be dynamic and at runtime, allowing you to take separate rooms or areas and connect them (due to changes in the world or otherwise).

Are these things still in the works? I am particularly interested in the dynamic obstacles. I have been using a modified version of “ai avoidance” that a user posted in another thread to have my units move around player placed buildings but it is sloppy at best.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.