News Forums RAIN General Discussion and Troubleshooting Pathfinding on uneven terrain

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jester 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

RathonGerdack
    Participant

I’ve worked through several tutorials with Rain and navmeshes work great when the ground is flat. I am working on a level that is an island and it has uneven terrain. Could someone give me some tips for pathfinding with Rain when working with hills or just non-flat terrain?

prime
    Keymaster

What are the issues you are seeing? I do this fairly often without any issues. You just need to make sure you have your slopes and step up heights set correctly when generating the mesh.

RathonGerdack
    Participant

I have adjusted those setting but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. In the first picture is the area covered by my navmesh and it encompases the slight hill near the ship.

Generating the Navmesh and the middle of it is under the terrain.

Disabling the terrain you can see the Navmesh is complete, it is just a bit under the highest points in the area.

Here are the setting I have for generation of the Navmesh.

Any insight would be appriciated.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by  RathonGerdack.

prime
    Keymaster

Does having the navmesh underneath the terrain have any impact on its usability? There are some tweaks that will bring it closer to the actual terrain, but it shouldn’t affect usage.

prime
    Keymaster

By the way - switch to advanced mode and you can raise the visualization for the terrain without disabling anything.

prime
    Keymaster

BTW 2 - your scene looks pretty nice. What’s the game?

RathonGerdack
    Participant

There is a bit of a usage issue since the AI character doesn’t follow the terrain. Depending on the spot it is moving to it half in the ground or floating above it at some spots. It’s from a pirate game we’re working on called Skurvy.

prime
    Keymaster

Y. Our navmesh isn’t really intended to be a replacement for the terrain itself - just a way to find a path. We usually use some other method to lock to the surface. Usually that’s gravity and terrain collisions. Sometimes it is raycasting.

RathonGerdack
    Participant

That makes sense. I just wasn’t sure if having the Navmesh under or above the terrain in spots would confuse the AI. I’ll keep the rigged character above the ground with colliders. Thanks for the help.

Jester
    Keymaster

How is development going?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,
    Jester

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.